“Don’t Waste Your Time Selecting the Wrong Contractor!”
What are the pitfalls to avoid during home basement renovations?
While finishing a basement is an exciting prospect, it is also a major undertaking. Plenty of mistakes can be made, many of which could lead to disastrous problems. The best way to face these issues is to be aware and prepared for them before you ever start your home basement renovations.
Common pitfalls included:
- Forgetting to check building codes – Every area has its own building codes and regulations that must be followed. If your renovated basement does not meet the necessary building codes, not only may your basement have safety hazards, but your municipality may force you to stop your work and require you to renovate your completed renovations.
- No clear design or plan in place – In order to determine a schedule, estimate costs, order supplies, or begin working, you need to know exactly what you are doing. This includes not only knowing the types of materials you would like to use, but also knowing the measurements and exact placement. This reduces the risk that you will run into surprises later, such as running out of materials, not accounting for pipes or ductwork that need to be covered, or going well over budget.
- Ignoring moisture – Because of their location, moisture will always be an issue for basements. Thanks to the climate, basements in Toronto are sometimes especially prone to flooding, making home basement renovations even more challenging. Before beginning the renovation process, it is important to identify and address any drainage problems and ventilation issues, and to consider investing in a quality sump pump system and dehumidifier. It is extremely heartbreaking to complete basement renovations only to have all of the work and materials ruined by flooding and/or mold.
- Forgetting that you are below grade – Some DIYers feel that they are ready to renovate a basement because they have renovated other rooms in the house. The same construction techniques that are used on the above grade levels of the home are not always applicable to the basement. The temperatures and moisture levels in the basement cause this space to need different materials and design approaches.
- Neglecting insulation or installing it improperly – A significant amount of heat is lost through the basement of the house. If this area is to be kept comfortable throughout Toronto winters, insulation should not be lacking. To protect against moisture, a vapor barrier is sometimes installed over the insulation. If a vapor barrier is installed in the wrong location, it can actually trap moisture and increase the risk of mold. Moisture within the insulation should be able to freely evaporate through the basement.
- Trying to do too much alone – From this list alone, you can see that there are many different factors to cover when completing basement renovations. In addition to taking care of these issues, you must also complete the construction; the entire process can become overwhelming.
This is why it is beneficial to enlist the help of a contractor and a team of professionals, such The Reno Pros, to assist with some or all of your home basement renovations. These teams have the knowledge necessary to identify and prevent common pitfalls and complete quality work.
Hear What Our Customer Are Saying About Us
"After requesting a quote for finishing a basement and working within the constraints of my budget, I went with RenoPros. The team arrived on time and ran every idea by me, as well as recommended what materials are best to be used in what area. The job was complete in a professional manner and I am very happy I chose The RenoPros"
"I was hesitant at first to rely on a third-party service to re-do two bedrooms in my house but the guys at RenoPros assured me they would work closely with me to fit my needs. I chose two different designs, and now both bedrooms actually feel good to be in. Great job"
"Our husband and I needed to renovate our basement at an affordable price. We found RenoPros and their staff and crafting was spot on, they let us customize everything to our liking and were very friendly and accommodating. Would do business with again, thanks!"
"We are so happy with our new kitchen and main floor renovation. The upgraded wife flooring was an excellent suggestion and the apron sink make the house feel brand new. The project manager was helpful, organized and I would definitely call them for any future renovation needs."