“Don’t Waste Your Time Selecting the Wrong Contractor!”
What is the cost of a home addition?
A family room addition can transform the functionality and feel of your entire home. It can make your living room tidier since gaming consoles with all of their accessories can be relocated; it can provide a hang-out for the kids during those mult-generational family get-togethers; and it can be a great spot to enjoy with friends during the big game.
Since this type of spot has so many uses, we are often asked by our clients for ideas concerning their family room addition. The following are some of our top tips:
- Start with the basics – while it is easy to get caught up in the “extras”, it is important to first make sure that you have a good canvas to work with. The basics include things like your siding, windows, flooring and lighting. Work with your designer to develop a floorplan that you like and that fits within your budget. Then, even if you’re not able to do all the extras, you’ll have a space that you can work with in the future.
- Location – consider where in your home you would like the family room to be. A popular spot is right beside the kitchen, since one of the main uses for this space is entertaining (and that means food!).
- Windows – Large windows located in the proper spots can add light and cheerfulness to a room. Having a nice view to your backyard is also desirable in a family room. Try to get windows that will match the style of the rest of your home, so they don’t look out of place from the exterior.
- Outside – When you’re adding a new family room, there is a good chance that it will be located right where your patio or deck used to be. Since having an outdoor entertainment space is important to most families, consider planning on building a new deck or patio and the same time that you put in your addition.
- Think about your entertainment system – in the age of flat screen TVs and compact speakers, many homeowners want their entertainment system to be as inconspicuous as possible. Figure out what components you would like and get them before the renovation – that way all the wires can be hidden inside the walls.
- Consider a fireplace – during cold Toronto winters, it can be wonderful to have a fireplace to curl up in front of. Getting a gas burning unit is ideal for most families because it can be controlled with a remote and there is no need for a chimney.
- Don’t forget ceiling design – a few simple changes to your ceiling design can have a large impact on how your room will look. Do you want cathedral ceilings, possibly with skylights? Or to you prefer the more casual feel of bead-board?
- Wet-bar – If you plan on doing a lot of entertaining in your family room you may want to consider including a wet bar. Even a second dishwasher might be a good idea so that dishes don’t have to be carted back and forth to the kitchen.
When designing and planning your family room addition, your choices are almost unlimited. Think about what you really want and how you will use the room and let our designers help you come up with the ideal plan.
Hear What Our Customer Are Saying About Us
"After requesting a quote for finishing a basement and working within the constraints of my budget, I went with RenoPros. The team arrived on time and ran every idea by me, as well as recommended what materials are best to be used in what area. The job was complete in a professional manner and I am very happy I chose The RenoPros"
"I was hesitant at first to rely on a third-party service to re-do two bedrooms in my house but the guys at RenoPros assured me they would work closely with me to fit my needs. I chose two different designs, and now both bedrooms actually feel good to be in. Great job"
"Our husband and I needed to renovate our basement at an affordable price. We found RenoPros and their staff and crafting was spot on, they let us customize everything to our liking and were very friendly and accommodating. Would do business with again, thanks!"
"We are so happy with our new kitchen and main floor renovation. The upgraded wife flooring was an excellent suggestion and the apron sink make the house feel brand new. The project manager was helpful, organized and I would definitely call them for any future renovation needs."