Let’s face it. Even if your home is long due for an upgrade, sometimes major changes like a new granite counter top or a basement refinishing simply aren’t in the budget. Fortunately, there are a number of hacks you can use to liven up your home without breaking the bank. The following are just a few ideas that for inexpensive home remodels and designs:
- Do you love the look of stainless steel appliances? Peel and stick contact paper can give your white refrigerator or dishwasher the look of stainless steel at a fraction of the price.
- Are the switch plates and outlet covers aging and turning yellow. You’d be surprised how much simply replacing them with new inexpensive white ones can freshen up your room. Or if you’d like to get a little fancier, consider replacing them with stainless steel or decorative ceramic covers.
- Want to change the look of your cabinets and doors but can’t afford to replace them? Doorknobs, hinges, and cabinetry hardware are inexpensive details that can dramatically change the look of your décor.
- Replace your dated lampshades with sleek modern ones.
- Don’t underestimate the impact that your window dressings have on the overall look of your home. If you have cheap vinyl blinds, consider replacing them with richly coloured wood blinds, Roman shades, or luxurious curtains.
- Rearrange furniture – updating the look of your home doesn’t necessarily have to cost any money at all. It may simply take some elbow grease. Changing your furniture around to give a room a better flow can do wonders.
- Use slip covers. If you’re not ready to replace your sofa or favourite chair, you can update its look with a slip cover. You can also change your throw pillows for a similar effect.
- Re-paint your walls. One of the most dramatic changes you can make to your home’s design while on a tight budget, is to change your walls. If you’ve got scuff marks or that off-white eggshell paint simply isn’t cutting it anymore, consider changing your room completely with a more up to date hue.
- Paint your ceiling. Your walls aren’t the only thing that can benefit from a fresh coat of paint. If you’re daring enough to try it, consider painting the ceiling in a different colour than the walls.
- Hang some new art on the walls. Or if you have some favorite photos from your Instagram account, get them printed and framed so you can display them in your home.
- If art and photos aren’t your thing, find some large mirrors that you love and hang them in strategic places such as a cramped entry space or over the mantel. You may want to hang two mirrors on opposite walls in order to give the illusion of more space.
- Freshen up your bathroom with new mats and a new shower curtain.
- Add some plants. Plants are not only nice to look at it, but there are many kinds of houseplants which actually help to filter the air. These include varieties like aloe vera, rubber plant and weeping fig.
If you’re saving up for a home renovation but aren’t quite ready to make the investment, remember these inexpensive home remodel and designs ideas and you’ll have a fresher look in no time.