“Don’t Waste Your Time Selecting the Wrong Contractor!”
What are some small house remodeling ideas and solutions?
Just because you live in a small home doesn’t mean you can’t have any of the luxuries of a mansion. A smaller home offers the benefits of low maintenance and cost. Styles such as cottages, cabins, bungalows, capes, etc… will always withstand the tests of time. With small house remodelling ideas, you can make the best of your small space. There are many things you can do to make each room appear and feel bigger.
Whether you want to make a few improvements here and there or go all-out with a renovation, here are some house remodelling ideas:
- Aim for uniform flooring. Try to use as much of one material as you can in open areas. Avoid transition if you can help it. It’s okay to switch materials in areas where there are cased openings. Using different flooring materials in open areas makes the house look choppy. The confined space is more apparent.
- Maximize functional storage. In the bedroom, one of the best places for storage is under the bed. Use under-bed storage boxes or bags to store out of season bedding, clothing, and other items that are seldom used. As for closets, don’t feel limited by the standard shelf and hanging bar. Get some stackable shelves and/or additional rods. Organize the storage – don’t just try to stuff everything inside.
- In the kitchen, get creative with the countertops. Combine classic white cabinetry with granite laminate countertops to give the illusion of space. Also, don’t be afraid to use mirrors. Mirrors add instant size and height to smaller kitchens. One ideal place to install a mirror is behind the stove. If you don’t have a window over the kitchen sink, add a mirror instead.
- You can save space in the kitchen by installing cabinets that open with a lifting mechanism rather than a door that swings open. Whenever you need to get anything out of the cabinets, the door lifts upwards rather than out. Also, opt for smaller appliances. Today, there are many space-efficient appliances that are just as powerful as larger models.
- Install shelves and storage units in the corner of small bathrooms. You might also want to downgrade your toilet size. Brands such as Kohler now offer compact elongated models of toilets. They are about the same size as the typical round-front toilet but take up less space. In addition to the toilet, you can also switch to a single-hole model of a sink faucet if you don’t already have one.
- It’s a good idea to stick with solid colours in a small bathroom. While patterns are nice, they can make the small space seem cluttered. You might be able to play around with textures, however, as long as you stick with light prints in natural tones.
- If you are not using all of the bedrooms in the house, consider sacrificing one in order to make the neighbouring room bigger. Have the wall removed to create a nice, spacious master bedroom.
Hopefully, you will find some of these small house remodelling ideas to be useful. Good luck with your renovation project!
Hear What Our Customer Are Saying About Us
"After requesting a quote for finishing a basement and working within the constraints of my budget, I went with RenoPros. The team arrived on time and ran every idea by me, as well as recommended what materials are best to be used in what area. The job was complete in a professional manner and I am very happy I chose The RenoPros"
"I was hesitant at first to rely on a third-party service to re-do two bedrooms in my house but the guys at RenoPros assured me they would work closely with me to fit my needs. I chose two different designs, and now both bedrooms actually feel good to be in. Great job"
"Our husband and I needed to renovate our basement at an affordable price. We found RenoPros and their staff and crafting was spot on, they let us customize everything to our liking and were very friendly and accommodating. Would do business with again, thanks!"
"We are so happy with our new kitchen and main floor renovation. The upgraded wife flooring was an excellent suggestion and the apron sink make the house feel brand new. The project manager was helpful, organized and I would definitely call them for any future renovation needs."