“Don’t Waste Your Time Selecting the Wrong Contractor!”
8 Tips for Preparing for a Home Remodelling Project
If you know what to expect with a home remodelling project, you’ll know how to prepare properly. It’s ideal to hire licensed renovators to handle the complex work. A remodelling project will likely disrupt your everyday life on some level. Proper preparation will minimize the disturbance and make the whole project easier on both you and your renovators. Even if you are feeling stressed just know that after the project is completed, the benefits will outweigh the inconveniences.
Here are some tips for preparing for home remodelling:
- Do research and familiarize yourself with the tasks that are involved in the project. Even if you are hiring somebody else to do the tasks, you should still watch how-to videos. Take note of what kind of tools and supplies will be used. Read safety tips as well. When preparing for any project that requires any type of clean-up, keep a damp towel and paper towels readily available.
- If you are planning remodelling a bedroom, you might need to prepare another place to sleep. For highly complex projects, consult with renovators to find out if your house will be livable, or if you and your family should find another place to stay until the project is completed.
- For projects involving solvents, paints, or products that are known to produce harmful fumes, make sure the workspace has proper ventilation. Also, thoroughly clean the workplace beforehand. Take care of dusting and vacuuming so that dust and dirt won’t be stirred during the task. Running an air filtering system can be helpful as well.
- Prepare a safe place for pets and children. Keep them as far away from the workplace as possible, and make sure they can’t wander into the area.
- When it comes to kitchen remodelling, you might want to create a temporary kitchen somewhere else in the home with a mini-refrigerator, ideally near a water source. Keep the dishes in another sink or use disposable dishes and utensils. Find a place to keep the essentials, such as napkins, condiments, cloths, garbage bags, dishwater soaps, etc.
- It’s essential that you and the renovation team maintain an open line of communication. Everybody should be on the same page at all times in order for the project to be a success. Know what they expect of you and vice versa.
- There is always the possibility of unexpected expenses. Even if you have everything planned out perfectly, there still might be some cash concerns. Increasing costs cause anxiety. You can reduce the stress involved by having extra money on hand. Have 10% – 20% more than the estimated budget.
- Establish traffic areas. There will be a lot of foot traffic both out and in your home. Workers will be walking around with tools and materials. Work with the renovation team to come up with a traffic plan and protect the flooring along that area with plastic covering. Also, keep any area(s) the workers may need access to, such as the basement and bathroom, cleared of clutter.
Keep in mind that even with a planned schedule, there might be some unexpected delays. While delays are an inconvenience, there’s always the possibility that they will occur. For this reason, flexibility is required with any home remodelling timeline. When working with The Reno Pros, the process will be as hassle-free as possible.
Hear What Our Customer Are Saying About Us
"After requesting a quote for finishing a basement and working within the constraints of my budget, I went with RenoPros. The team arrived on time and ran every idea by me, as well as recommended what materials are best to be used in what area. The job was complete in a professional manner and I am very happy I chose The RenoPros"
"I was hesitant at first to rely on a third-party service to re-do two bedrooms in my house but the guys at RenoPros assured me they would work closely with me to fit my needs. I chose two different designs, and now both bedrooms actually feel good to be in. Great job"
"Our husband and I needed to renovate our basement at an affordable price. We found RenoPros and their staff and crafting was spot on, they let us customize everything to our liking and were very friendly and accommodating. Would do business with again, thanks!"
"We are so happy with our new kitchen and main floor renovation. The upgraded wife flooring was an excellent suggestion and the apron sink make the house feel brand new. The project manager was helpful, organized and I would definitely call them for any future renovation needs."