“Don’t Waste Your Time Selecting the Wrong Contractor!”
How to update older homes with modern home renovations?
Do you have an older home that is in need of renovation? Whether you live in an old farm house or in a neighborhood with mid-century style homes, you can update many features with modern home renovations. You can still maintain its traditional look with modern upgrades. There might be some pitfalls, so it’s important to work with the right company, develop a plan, and stay the course.
You don’t have to renovate every last room – you can still update the interior without making dramatic changes to the architecture or structure.
Here are some ways you can transform an old home to a modern home with renovation:
- Don’t be afraid to give the kitchen a total overhaul. It’s one of the two rooms you can make the most changes with. Decide whether you want to refinish the cabinetry or replace it entirely. It’s ideal to work with a contractor who is able to establish a to-scale drawing of the existing kitchen and all of its windows, plumbing lines, heating, electrical outlets, etc. From there, determine the changes that should be made and decide on modern design elements.
- The bathroom is the other room requires most renovation. You might need to update the wiring and add additional outlets to suit all of your modern electrical conveniences. The plumbing might also need updated if you plan on getting a modern toilet with more powerful flushing capabilities. Make sure you have a water heater that is big enough for a multi-head shower or soaker tub.
- You might want to keep the wood windows, even if they are decades old. Wood windows are designed to last for a lifetime. Still, not all windows are the same. Consider individual window requirements. For the ones you decide to keep, add weather-stripping to improve energy-efficiency.
- A contemporary home is defined by clean lines and angles, which can be visually emphasized by selecting trim and door colours that are a similar hue to the house colour. While a broad range of paint colours work well with modern homes, natural colours are ideal. – especially if you plan on selling the home. If you plan on living in it for a long time to come, you can use any colour(s) you wish.
- Consider tearing up the carpet. If it’s an old home, the carpet is probably very old too. It’s probably seen better days. Solid floors are more modern, anyway. If you do want carpet, you can always add a large rug in the hallway, next to the bed, in the living room, etc. It’s best to leave the job of removing carpet to the pros – especially if you’re uncertain what’s underneath the carpet.
- The staircases are most likely going to need to be redone. If they still have the original railing, balusters, posts, etc…, have them restored. If they are made of hardwoods or coated with paint that is no longer crisp, they should be stripped. Worn treads can be replaced without too many problems, although the details, such as the nosing returns, should be restored as well. Broken balusters can be replaced and missing ones can be milled. It’s always worth the money to restore or conserve staircases, as they are key elements in any house.
These are just a few ideas. Once again, you will want to work with experts, including designers, architects, and managers from The Reno Pros, who understand how to incorporate modern home renovations into older homes.
Hear What Our Customer Are Saying About Us
"After requesting a quote for finishing a basement and working within the constraints of my budget, I went with RenoPros. The team arrived on time and ran every idea by me, as well as recommended what materials are best to be used in what area. The job was complete in a professional manner and I am very happy I chose The RenoPros"
"I was hesitant at first to rely on a third-party service to re-do two bedrooms in my house but the guys at RenoPros assured me they would work closely with me to fit my needs. I chose two different designs, and now both bedrooms actually feel good to be in. Great job"
"Our husband and I needed to renovate our basement at an affordable price. We found RenoPros and their staff and crafting was spot on, they let us customize everything to our liking and were very friendly and accommodating. Would do business with again, thanks!"
"We are so happy with our new kitchen and main floor renovation. The upgraded wife flooring was an excellent suggestion and the apron sink make the house feel brand new. The project manager was helpful, organized and I would definitely call them for any future renovation needs."